CONDITIONS & DISEASES
Do you suffer from abdominal pain, diarrhea, or rectal bleeding? Do you continue to suffer because traditional diagnostic procedures have failed to determine a reason for your symptoms? CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY is a new cutting edge method that can help in evaluating the extent to which your small intestine
In order for this procedure to be proformed the patient with swallow a vitamin-pill sized video capsule that is used as an endoscope. While the capsule travels through your body, images are sent to a data recorder you will wear on a waist belt. Afterwards one of our doctors will view the images on a video monitor. Most patients consider this test comfortable.
The capsule is disposable and passes naturally with your bowel movements. You should not feel any pain or discomfort during capsule excretion.
To see if you are a candidate for this procedure please call Gastrointestinal Consultants at 1-(352)-383-7703.
- Intestinal Bleeding - Intestinal bleeding is a serious symptom of gastrointestinal disease. It can be present as vomiting blood related to a bleeding ulcer, black tarry stool related to a bleeding ulcer, or bright red blood from the rectum related to an ulcer, colitis, or hemorrhoids.
- Hepatitis -Hepatitis refers to inflammation of the liver. Most commonly we think of viral hepatitis caused by several different viruses-A, B, C, Delta and Infectious Mononucleosis. Medications may also cause hepatitis.
- Jaundice - Jaundice is a symptom of liver disease and manifests as yellow discoloration of the skin and sclera (whites of the eyes). Usually when one is jaundiced the urine may be very dark in color and the stool very light.
- Liver Disease - As gastroenterologists, we treat many types of liver disease. Most commonly we see Hepatitis
related to viral infections or medications and cirrhosis related to alcoholism. Other less common
disorders include Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, Fatty Liver Syndrome, Hemochromatosis and Sclerosing
- Nervous Stomach - There is a whole constellation of symptoms which fall into the realm of the Irritable Bowel Syndrome or nervous stomach. This frequently has been called Spastic Colitis. This is not a disease but rather a group of symptoms which may be attributed to stress, tension and anxiety. The symptoms may be diarrhea, diarrhea alternating with constipation, constipation, mucus in the stools and abdominal pain. Often the diagnosis is made after a reasonable medical evaluation is performed to rule out other causes of the symptoms.