GLUTEN FREE DIET
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat, rye, barley, and in select oats. Things like bread, pasta, pizza, cereals, and crackers all have gluten in them.
Why would I need to be on a gluten-free diet?
People who have Celiac Sprue (Celiac disease) should maintain a gluten-free diet for their whole life. Celiac Disease is a condition that affects the body’s ability to break down certain kinds of foods; people with this disease can get very sick if there is any gluten in their diet.
If I am on, or soon to be on a gluten-free diet which foods can I eat?
As long as foods are gluten-free you’re safe to eat them. Here are some examples of foods that are gluten-free:
• Fresh fruits and vegetables
• Wine, rum, tequila, vodka, and whiskey
• Special gluten-free flours, pastas, and other products made from these foods
• Rice, corn, potatoes, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and soybeans
• Meat and eggs
Dairy products such as milk and cheese are also gluten free. Though, if you have celiac disease, your doctor may suggest for you to stay clear of the dairy products until your intestines have healed.
What type of foods should I not eat?
Unless specially marked gluten-free, you should avoid the following:
- Beers, ales, lagers, and malt vinegar
- Pasta, pastries, cereal
- Some sauces, spices, spreads, condiments, and dressings
- Flour, breads, crackers, muffins, mixes (cake, cupcake mix etc.)
- Processed meats and meat replacements (such as vegetarian burgers)
You can always make sure the foods you’re picking are gluten-free by checking the label. Foods containing any wheat are NOT ok to eat.
But what about eating out?
You can still go to restaurants to eat out, you just have to be wise with what you eat and you have to know what is and isn’t gluten-free. When ordering you can tell your waiter or waitress you are on a gluten-free diet. Though one thing you should avoid when it comes to eating out is fast food restaurants, since they don’t offer a gluten-free menu and their meat is processed.